Monday, May 2, 2011

Osama

Well, we did it. Osama finally ran out of running room and got a bullet in the head. The people of America, and all over the world perhaps, is celebrating*, and rightly so in some sense, and horribly wrong in another. I just can't get myself happy about it. I'm absolutely excited in that we may have saved many many lives in the future- OK I get that. But happy that a man is dead to achieve that aim? Not so much. I'm sorry that a man had to die for that to happen. Yes, it was his own past and would-have-been-future choices that led to this necessity (and I agree that if capture wasn't possible then this was indeed necessary). But what unimaginable history, upbringing, environment, family could lead a person to such reckless hate and disregard for life? I don't know, and neither do you. I can't imagine living life with the goal to end others' lives. What a pathetic existence, and by pathetic I mean sympathy enducing, to think about missing out on friendships, love, morality (true morality, not religious), without the aims of bettering your and others' lives. As Harry Potter says to Voldemort in the 5th, ". . . you'll never know love, or friendship, and I feel sorry for you." Yes he's a vile person who needs to be stopped, but it doesn't mean that we don't feel sorry that his entire existence is so meaningless and cruel. He's dead now, so he'll never have a chance to change his heart, or understand why life is so precious. I know I'm in the minority for these thoughts, and that most people won't and can't get past that he needed to die. I still just can't imagine Christ celebrating over this though.


*http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/02/osama-bin-laden-dead-new-york_n_856137.html

No comments: