Tuesday, April 1, 2008

What will heaven be like?

Well, I've got the best wife in the world, a good job, a great school, a wonderful family, great friends, good health. . . it's hard to think of an improvement.

Honestly, I think it will be much more similar to this life than what I've heard from mainstream Christianity. After all, it would seem that this reality was intended to be our eternal home. Which is strange since, albeit it's WAY in the future, eventually the sun will run out of gas, . So did God originally intend for us to expand away from planet Earth? Strange thought. Anyways, I think heaven will be infinitely complex to satisfy our minds, infinitely beautiful to satisfy our aesthetic sense, infinitely large to satisfy our desire to discover. I think we will probably have to work, for two reasons: work develops and strengthens our character, and in a sense is self-sharpening. Second, that sense of accomplishment is so satisfying. I think we will be able to experience God in a way that none of us can yet comprehend. This last one is what I'm looking forward to the most- I'm worn out wondering what or who God really is, and cannot wait to understand Him, His power, His glory, His beauty, His love, unhindered.

That's my thoughts, at any rate. Most of them don't have too strong of a base, other than this is what I imagine "perfection" being. It could be totally different.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This reminds me of the last scene in the last book of the Chronicles of Narnia. Running without getting tired, having a different body that isn't prone to our current temptations and an overwhelming need to be close to God are the things that stuck with me from that scene. i think the most important part of being in heaven will be praising God. when we meet God i don't know that our minds will have any other thoughts or want to have any other thoughts that don't include him.
The sun topic is something that makes me sweat... to think that each heavenly body has a life cycle of its own brings you to the realization that this is a temporary arrangement. i can only hope that God would have the mercy to remove us from the earth before the sun completes it's cycle. there are some people (JW's) who believe that we will return to the earth after Christ comes back, but only to minister to the remaining people on earth, until everyone is converted. then we'll all live happily ever after on the third planet from the Sun. again, i have to go back to C. S. Lewis' metaphor. he uses a place similar to earth, but better, just like the bodies that we have will be better. i like to think that heaven will mimic earth in many ways, but i also have to remember that God has infinitely more creativity than i do. if we're God's children and he loves us, then i feel sure there are wonderful things in store, things i couldn't imagine...

Chad B. said...

As much as I get frustrated thinking about Heaven, I still love talking and thinking about it. I enjoyed your thoughts about discovery/accomplishment. That would be truly amazing to have an infinate world where new discoveries are limitless. I also sometimes think that we will somehow instantly obtain all knowledge, and there really won't be anything "new." This sounds boring to us, but I would assume in Heaven there is no law of diminishing returns. Kind of like eating 10 cheesecakes and every single bite is just as amazing as the first (with no explosion at the end). Or maybe we'll just all stand around the throne with our arms around each other, completely enthralled by the spectacle of God's glory. That alone may be enough to hold us captivated for eternity.

Unknown said...

The Chad, I think you're right in a sense. No matter what heaven actually is like, I'm SURE it must involve cheesecake. I mean, really, how could it not?